Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RZR. To change the spark plugs on your Polaris RZR 800, RZR 4 800, RZR S 800, RANGER RZR or RANGER RZR S, do the following:
1. Remove both seats.
- Pull up on the seat latch lever located under the rear edge of the seat.
- Tilt the seat forward.
- Lift the seat up to remove it from the vehicle.
2. Remove the rear service panel that is located behind the seats on the frame of the vehicle.
3. Remove the spark plug cap.
4. Using the spark plug wrench provided in the tool kit, remove the plug by rotating it counterclockwise.
5. Inspect the spark plug.
- Spark plug condition is indicative of engine operation. The spark plug firing end condition should be read after the engine is warmed up and the vehicle is driven at higher speeds. Immediately check the spark plug for correct color. Caution: A hot exhaust system can cause burns. Wear protective gloves when removeing a spark plug for inspection.
- A normal insulator tip is gray, tan or light brown. There will be few combustion deposits. The electrodes are not burned or eroded. This indicates the proper type and heat range for the engine and the service. Tip: The tip should not be white. A white insulator tip indicates overheating, caused by use of an improper spark plug or incorrect throttle body adjustments.
- A wet fouled insulator tip is black. A damp oil film covers the firing end. There may be a carbon layer over the entire nose. Generally, the electrodes are not worn. General causes of fouling are excessive oil, use of non-recommended injection oil or incorrect throttle body adjustments.
6. Also inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should be 0.035 inches (0.9 mm).
7. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. The spark plug is RC7YC, which is part number 3021671.
8. Install the spark plug. Torque to 18 ft-lbs (24 Nm).
9. Reinstall the spark plug cap.
10. Reinstall the rear access panel.
11. Reinstall the seats. Make sure the seat tabs at the front edge of the seat slide under the seat retainer bar. Press down firmly at the rear of the seat to engage the rear latch.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.