Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- 8mm and 10mm Sockets
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RZR. To remove and install the battery on your RZR RS1, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in park and remove the key.
3. Remove the center hood by turning the two quarter-turn latches and pulling back from the retainers.
4. Then lift the front storage box out of the vehicle.
5. Next, using an 8mm socket, remove the black negative battery cable fastener first to prevent arcing. Set the cable aside.
6. Then slide the positive cable protector boot back and remove the red cable fastener with an 8mm socket. Set the cable aside. Reinstalling the fasteners into the posts will help prevent misplacement.
7. Next, remove the battery bracket fastener with a 10mm socket. Lift the bracket up and pull out to remove from the vehicle.
8. Lift the battery out of the vehicle. The lower bracket may stick to the battery when removing. Reinstall the bracket as needed.
9. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris to prevent damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
10. Next, clean the inside of the battery holder and reinstall the battery.
11. Then reinstall the battery bracket and align the mounting hole.
12. Install the battery bracket fastener. Torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
13. Next, install the positive cable FIRST to prevent arcing. Torque to 60 in-lbs (7 Nm). Then install the protector boot.
14. Continue by installing the negative cable. Torque to 60 in-lbs (7 Nm).
15. Next, coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
16. Before proceeding, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
17. Turn the key on to verify the battery is properly connected. When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
18. Next, reinstall the storage box.
19. Finally, reinstall the center hood panel and secure the two quarter-turn latches.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.