VIDEO: RZR Pro XP or Pro XP 4 Oil Change
When changing the oil on your Polaris RZR, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil and filter at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. To change the engine oil and filter on your RZR Pro XP or Pro XP 4, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Start the engine, and allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Remove the four T40 TORX® fasteners securing the cargo box to the vehicle.
6. Remove the cargo box by lifting straight up.
7. Clean the area around the engine oil cap.
8. Remove the oil cap and set aside.
9. Clean the area around the oil drain plug.
10. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of oil.
11. Remove the drain plug using a 6mm Allen socket and allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
12. Remove the oil filter through the driver’s rear wheel well, using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench.
13. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Make sure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
14. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Ensure the O-ring is in good condition.
15. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional 3/4 of a turn. The filter is part number 2520799.
16. Inspect the drain plug and sealing surfaces. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug. The sealing washer is part number 5812232. Notice: The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
17. Clean the sealing surfaces and reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
18. Wipe up any residual oil on the vehicle.
19. Fill the engine with 2.75 quarts (2.6 liters) of the recommended oil through the oil fill cap.
20. Reinstall the oil fill cap.
21. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
22. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
23. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
24. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
25. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
26. Reinstall the cargo box access panel.
27. Install the four fasteners to secure the cargo box to the vehicle. Torque to 7 ft-lbs (10 Nm).
28. Before completing, grease the prop shaft from under the center of the vehicle through the access hole.
29. Also loosen the spark arrestor fastener using an 8mm socket and remove the spark arrestor. Clean as needed.
30. Reinstall the spark arrestor and fastener. Torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on the instrument cluster of your RZR is programmed to 25 hours at the factory. As hours of engine operation increase, the counter decreases. The wrench icon will flash for about 10 seconds when the counter reaches zero and each time the key is turned on thereafter until the counter is reset.
When this feature is enabled, it provides a convenient reminder to perform routine maintenance. Refer to the recommended oil change intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE (4) button to enter the settings menu.
2. Press either toggle button (5) to cycle to the "Service Hours" option. Press MODE to select.
3. Press MODE to reset the existing value and exit or press either toggle button to change the value. Press MODE to save and exit the settings menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC