- Oil Pan
- 17mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Shop Rags
When changing the oil on your Polaris RZR 170, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. To change the oil and filter on your RZR 170, do the following:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Lock the parking brake.
3. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Clean the area around the engine oil dipstick.
6. Remove the dipstick and set aside.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Place a drain pan under the crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
9. Using a 17mm socket, remove the drain plug, spring and pre-filter screen. Allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
10. Clean any debris in the pre-filter screen by washing it with solvent. Allow it to air-dry.
11. Inspect the O-ring on the drain plug and replace if necessary. The O-ring is part number 0452136.
12. Reassemble the drain plug, O-ring, spring and pre-filter and install in the crankcase. Torque to 11 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
13. Clean any residual oil that may have collected on the vehicle.
15. Reinstall the dipstick and clean any residual oil that may have spilled.
16. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
17. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
18. Check the oil level and add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
19. Dispose of the used oil properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.